Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Jerusalem Artichoke recipe thats not soup!
A Simple French staple
Topinambours à la Barigoule
A great winter dish.

One of the perennials I planted back in 2011 has kept going strong with no attention whatsoever - as has the cordoon etc.
With this meal, unfortunately I left my stick with photos at home, so I will upload some on my return.
You will have to make do with the rather pretty botanists painting above.

There are many variations, this is simple, peasant food - but once it starts to caramelize, it starts to become the food of Kings. First time I saw it was on a UK site from a Welsh lad called Alan Refail - so thanks to him, I have something other than a soup or puree option.

Jerusalem artichoke is hardy, and is suited to the Irish climate. After it was established it has required no weeding or care.
In terms of sourcing tubers, after my experience, I would, unfortunately, not recommend Mr Middleton's.
Try looking about, or contact me. I have quite a stick of them.

Mind you, when I did put it in, a lot of seaweed and manure went in as the base of the bed.
Since then I have had strong, healthy plants.

The fresh tuber tastes like a water chestnut and is used in salads. They are better cooked though as they will give you wind if raw - and I really mean that  - as did John Goodyer in 1621 when he was quoted as having said "which way soever they be dressed and eaten, they stir and cause a filthy loathsome stinking wind within the body, thereby causing the belly to be pained and tormented, and are a meat more fit for swine than men."

Dont let that put you off, it is a bit harsh. The flavour of Jerusalem artichoke is kind of sweet and smokey. If lifted and stored for any length of time, they become sweeter - so if using this recipe, dig the tubers up a few days in advance, it really helps with the caramelizing process.

This recipe Topinambours à la Barigoule, is a staple of Provence in the south of France, it's cheap, easy and different.

I like to keep it simple, and the recipe here is fantastic with roast pork.

INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
500 grams Jerusalem artichokes, scrubbed and peeled
1 Lemon
100ml white wine
100ml of water or stock
2 garlic cloves finely chopped
12 Black olives, stoned
Handful of Parsley

Chop up the Jerusalem artichokes and cut into about 1 inch / 2 cm pieces.
Put them in a pan that just fits them and add two or three tablespoons of rapeseed or olive oil, the juice and grated zest of a lemon, about a dozen black olives, 100ml water (or veg/chicken stock) and 100ml of white wine.

Add water to barely cover them tightly, bring to the boil then simmer till the artichokes are tender. 
Uncover and let the liquid evaporates and the artichokes are just starting to caramelize. 
Season with pepper, no need to use salt normally the olives are salty enough.
Add a good handful of chopped parsley before serving.

Great side dish - enjoy

As always, please take the time to comment - I really appreciate the time and effort.



Free Stats Hit Counter Web Analytics


1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear that. Middletons is a regular destination for me when in Dublin. On behalf of Jane. Contravening CITES or whatever with hand luggage.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting - its cool that you took the time